Ben Affleck Says This Was a Major Factor in His Breakup with Jennifer Lopez

file photo jennifer lopez and ben affleck arriving at the maid in manhattan world premiere at the ziegfeld theatre, new york city december 8, 2002 lopez and affleck have postponed their wedding due to a media frenzy over the plans and details photo by evan agostinigetty images

Evan AgostiniGetty Images

The media frenzy around Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez‘s relationship apparently played a huge role in their eventual split.

Speaking on The Howard Stern Show, the Argo director got candid about the pressures of dating in the public eye and having J.Lo call off their engagement in 2004.

“I would say [media attention] was about 50 percent [of what destroyed our relationship]. The idea that people hate you and they hate you together and that being together is poison and ugly and toxic and the thing none of us want to be part of,” the Oscar winner said. “And, ‘Who the fuck would want to have them to dinner?’ And, ‘What the fuck are they doing together?'”

The couple first started dating in 2002, immediately becoming a target of tabloids and public opinion. They got engaged the following year before ultimately splitting in 2004.

Of their breakup, Affleck confessed, “I got fucking hurt and angry, and felt like a fool.”

venice, italy september 10 ben affleck and jennifer lopez attend the red carpet of the movie the last duel during the 78th venice international film festival on september 10, 2021 in venice, italy photo by vittorio zunino celottogetty images
Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez at the 78th Venice International Film Festival.

Vittorio Zunino CelottoGetty Images

The two reconciled earlier this year, though not without some hesitation on Affleck’s part.

“My responsibility to my children is the highest responsibility I have,” he said, referring to his kids—Violet, 16, Seraphina, 12, and Samuel, 9—whom he shares with ex-wife Jennifer Garner. “So I won’t do anything that’s painful or destructive to them if I can help it.”

He continued, “That being said, I know that my life affects them. I dropped my son off at school two days ago, and he’s the only one who will talk about it. He’s nine years old, and there’s a bunch of the older boys out there doing some toy drive or something, and I heard them go, ‘Oh, Ben Affleck, Ben Affleck.’ And my kid looks at me and goes, ‘Hashtag welcome to my life.'”

Before they split, Affleck and J.Lo released a joint statement explaining why they were postponing their wedding, blaming the media frenzy surrounding the occasion.

Due to the excessive media attention surrounding our wedding, we have decided to postpone the date. When we found ourselves seriously contemplating hiring three separate “decoy brides” at three different locations, we realized that something was awry. We began to feel that the spirit of what should have been the happiest day of our lives could be compromised. We felt what should have been a joyful and sacred day could be spoiled for us, our families, and our friends.

Today, the newly reunited couple seem to be stronger than ever.

Affleck previously told WSJ. Magazine that his decades-spanning love story with J.Lo is a “great” one.

“I can say that it’s definitely beautiful to me,” the actor said. “It is a good story. It’s a great story. And, you know, maybe one day I’ll tell it. I’ll write it all out. And then I’ll light it on fire.”

This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io



Ben Affleck Says This Was a Major Factor in His Breakup with Jennifer Lopez
Source: Filipino Journal Articles

Post a Comment

0 Comments